Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Den-m-Nit is a no-knit for me!

Some projects are just not meant to be. I tried writing a pattern for a summer top using Elann's Den-M-Nit yarn and failed miserably. I bought the yarn months ago and it sat in my yarn room until last week. I thought it was worsted weight, so I imagined knitting it with size 7 or 8 needles. I went to swatch and found I needed much smaller needles, so I went for size 5. I really don't like knitting on anything smaller than size 7, so that was the first nail in the coffin. I wanted to use a sort of lacy leaf stitch pattern, but it just wasn't working with the cotton yarn.

I finally found a stitch pattern I liked, little fans formed from pulling up loops from a few rows below the working stitch. I swatched, wrote out my pattern and started knitting away happily in the round.

Then I got knitter's wrist. After about 10 rows I was all sore, and realized that since cotton has very little give, it was a lot tougher to knit with. Well fine, I can knit this for awhile then work on something else for awhile and alternate.

I got to the second row of fans and realized that one of the fans was going to fall right on the join of the round. Ack! Why couldn't I see this coming??

Well at this point I gave up and shoved it into a grocery bag because I didn't want to look at it anymore. I think this yarn is going back to my yarn room (yes, it needs a whole room) until I can find (or create!) a more suitable project.

So what is the next step? Well I ordered more yarn of course! I really was in love with the style of my pattern, so I'm going to try it out in Elann's silk tweed yarn. I figured silk would have a bit more softness and drape than the cotton, so I might get to use that leafy stitch pattern.

We shall see!

No comments: